Questions about Claims
How do I submit a claim to Bankmed (remember to include your membership number and to ensure that all claims are legible)?
- By post to: Bankmed Claims, PO Box 1242, Cape Town, 8000
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax to: 021 480 4696
Is there a limit on the time I have to submit a claim to Bankmed?
Claims must reach Bankmed within FOUR MONTHS of treatment date otherwise Bankmed will not be liable to provide benefits.
What information must appear on a claim?
All claims must be checked for correctness and must be clearly legible.
On receipt of your account from the provider, check that the following information appears on the account:
- Your membership number
- Your surname and initials
- The patient's first name, surname and dependant code
- Name of the benefit plan
- The name and practice number of the supplier of the service
- The nature and cost of treatment
- The referring doctor's practice number on specialist's accounts
- The tariff code that relates to the health service you have received
- The ICD-10 (diagnostic) code that relates to the health service you have received
- Proof of payment, if you have paid it yourself.
I want to be notified when claims are received and processed by Bankmed. How can I ensure that this happens?
Notification of Processed Claims and Claims Statements
If you wish to receive notification whenever a claim has been received and processed, you can register for this via our website on www.bankmed.co.za and login using your membership number. You can then choose to either receive your notification by email or sms. Once the claim has been processed and paid, you will receive a claims statement either in the post or electronically by email if you have chosen that option.
Bankmed sends me claim statements whenever claims have been settled. Do I need to do anything with this?
Checking your claims statement
Your claims statement is one of the most important documents you will receive from Bankmed. It is as important as your bank statement and in the same way that you would check your bank account very carefully; you should apply the same discipline to your Bankmed statement. By doing this, you will help us to control fraud and to manage your benefits in the most efficient way.
Please check your statement to ensure that:
- The claims on the statement are for services that you and/or your registered dependants received
- Bankmed has processed all claims for services rendered to you and your dependants (and that you have submitted all of your claims within four months)
- That the correct dependant code as shown on your membership card is reflected opposite each claim.
If you notice any errors or have a query, please contact our Bankmed Customer Services on 0800 Bankmed (0800 226 5633).
Income Tax records
You should keep your claims statements for income tax purposes.
What is a Savings Account, and how does it work?
Please read more about this under Questions about Medical Savings Accounts (MSA)