In a unique offering, we have been able to arrange an exclusive offer for members with Next Biosciences – Africa’s leading Biotech Company that combines medicine, science and technology to create innovative products and services, enabling you to invest in your future health.
Bankmed members may obtain up to 25% off Cryo-Y, Next Biosciences’ semen cryopreservation services.
These are the benefits members have
About semen cryopreservation
Now, more than ever, people have control over their reproductive lives.
There are situations in life when depositing semen in a long-term storage bank offers options for future fertility and peace of mind.
Reasons men should consider semen cryopreservation
- Before undergoing cancer treatment – treatment such as chemotherapy and radiation can cause permanent sterility and infertility.
- Before prostate or testicular surgery – damage can be caused to a man’s reproductive organs during testicular surgery and prostatectomy.
- Before a vasectomy – to preserve fertility and prevent the need for reversal surgery should personal circumstances change.
- High risk occupations – where men are exposed to chemicals, radiation and extreme heat which can lead to infertility.
- When involved with assisted reproductive technologies.
- When men are going to be absent for a long period of time – Semen freezing enables the female partner to continue with her reproductive schedule even if the male partner can’t be there due to work commitments or unforeseen circumstances.
- Professional sportsmen (especially cyclists) - strenuous and consistent impact can lead to infertility.
- Medical conditions such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis – these illnesses can cause a decrease in reproductive abilities (erectile dysfunction).
Why should I consider Next Biosciences to cryogenically store my semen?
- Next Biosciences' state-of-the-art storage facilities are of an international standard and can be compared to the best cryogenic facilities in the world
- Next Biosciences has a specialised monitoring system to monitor its facility, equipment and storage tanks, offering you optimal storage security
- Next Biosciences has the backing of doctors and reproductive specialists in the fertility field
- Next Biosciences offers a personalised service.
To start the process to have your semen cryogenically stored
Please note that this service is currently available in Johannesburg and Pretoria. If you live outside of these cities, you will be required to travel to either of the cities at your own expense.
Using cryogenically preserved semen for reproduction
Thanks to ongoing research throughout the years, the process and techniques of cryopreservation have become more refined since the 1950s, when human semen was first cryogenically stored. In addition, birth defects among children "conceived" using cryopreserved semen is no different to children "conceived" using a fresh semen sample. There are however concerns around this if the semen was produced after chemotherapy and hence it is crucial to preserve your fertility prior to cancer treatment. Many pregnancies are achieved with artificial reproductive technologies using cryogenically preserved semen samples, but it must be noted that the success rate also depends on the female partner’s fertility status and age.
How is the semen stored?
The semen is stored in small straws in liquid nitrogen in a cryogenic storage tank. It is best to store two to three semen ejaculates but this depends on the volume of the ejaculate, the initial sperm count and forward progression of the sperm. Your semen will be analysed and you will be advised if more ejaculates should be stored to ensure maximum reproductive success in the future.
What do I do when I am ready to use my semen for reproductive purposes?
The first step will be to make an appointment with a fertility specialist to assess your fertility status and that of your partner. You will need to inform the fertility specialist that you have semen cryogenically stored at Netcells Biosciences. Netcells Biosciences will only release your semen samples to the fertility clinic when you have provided written notification for this to take place. Netcells Biosciences will coordinate delivery of your semen to the fertility clinic.